After spending the weekend in Hanoi, imagine my surprise and delight at finding a new comment in my About page from another fellow blogger –nominating me for the Liebster Award! A shout out and an enormous thank you goes to The Mindful Expat who nominated me. Shee is an American psychologist and a fantastic writer that really has a way of making her reader think as she tell us about her life and challenges of moving to Lyon (France) to follow her French engineer love….after two and a half years apart! If you love France and some self discovery, you should definitely check her blog out. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the Liebster Award, it was developed to recognize promising blogs with fewer than 200 followers, while also marketing the discovery of new blogs. In a kind of pay-it-forward system, I then get to nominate 11 other bloggers. Thanks again to The Mindful Expat for thinking of Have Curls, Will Travel! Here are the Liebster Award “rules” (copied from The Mindful Exapt’s post):
- Thank the person who nominated you for a Liebster Award and link their blog to your post.
- Answer the 11 questions they’ve asked you.
- Nominate 11 bloggers who have 200 followers or fewer for the award.
- Ask 11 questions to your nominees.
- Let your nominees know you nominated them once you’ve posted about your Liebster Award.
- Add the Liebster Award badge to your blog!
Here are my answers to her questions:
- What inspired you to start your blog? (And, if it’s not totally obvious, how did you come up with the name for your blog?) When I took the job to move to Vietnam, I immediately started researching about life there, food, and the expat community. What I could not find, was a single thing about being Black in Vietnam, including things like hair products, cultural reactions, and whether there were people like me over in Hanoi or not. So I decided to create my blog as a resource for women of color who want to go to Vietnam and need a little information or support. And then, it just kind of took off for more interesting thoughts and encounters! As for my blog’s name, my afro-like hair is something that everyone defines me by and since I’m traveling, I figured, why not put the two together.
- Do real people in your life know about your blog (and read it), or do you keep it anonymous? Yes, my blog is linked up to my Facebook, so friends and family do know about it, but I still tend to keep my real name out of posts.
- If someone were making a movie of your life, what actor/actress would you want to have play you? Even though she looks nothing like me, I’d have to pick Judy Dench, just because I think she’s a fabulous actor
- What genre would best characterize your movie? A self-discovery movie, à la Eat, Pray, Love…but even better.
- What’s one item on your bucket list that you hope to accomplish in the next few years? Either to go shark cage diving or to visit my mother’s homeland, Trinidad.
- If you came back in another life as an (non-human) animal, which one would you want to be? I would be a type of cat. Not sure whether domestic or wild, but that would be a pretty good life, I would think.
- What languages can you speak? I speak French, and basic Korean and Spanish
- What’s your favorite food that you discovered as an adult? Escargot!
- Name one thing you’re grateful for. My family. They are my everything.
- Name one great book you’ve read (relatively recently) that you’d like to recommend to others (i.e.: me). I’ve just re-read The God of Small Things, and it still blows my mind
- Do you listen to podcasts? If so, tell us one of your favorites. Unfortunately, I do not, but maybe I should!
And here are my nominees!
Where the Robert Meets the Road — A brilliant blog of a retired school teacher, now traveling with his wife in an upgraded RV, exploring the good Ole US of A.
WesterGirlEasternBoy—A Texan-native who followed her South Korean boyfriend to Korea. There wasn’t a happy ending, but now she’s thriving in Korea, sharing knowledge of culture and awesome K-dramas
SunsetChasingNomad—A nomad traveling the world, checking things off her extensive bucket list, one item at a time. Her pictures are just an added treat.
Unequivocaly Awkward—A self described vagabond, with a great sense of humor, detailing a journey through L.A.’s streets.
Shanna Writes. She’s 21. She writes beautiful poetry.
The Backpack Manifesto —In 2013, the quit her job and hit the road. She wants to see it all, and along the way, give her readers these gems of ramblings, musings, and snip pits of her adventures.
30 Before I’m 30 —About a girl name Jenna who’s trying to complete 30 amazing things before she turns 30.
Truly, Madly, Italy—Helen of England married an Italian. “Since then she has been blogging her attempts to hide her Britishness and make-like-an-Italian!”
Finally, here are my questions for the Nominees, should they wish to participate in the Liebster Award:
- What inspired you to start your blog?
- Who, What, or Where does your inspiration come from?
- Books or Movies?
- What did you want to be when you were a child?
- What is your favorite social media?
- What would the current soundtrack of your life be?
- Favorite dessert?
- What is success?
- Do you speak any other languages?
- If you came back in another life as an (non-human) animal, which one would you want to be?
- What was your favorite class in high school?
Thanks again to The Mindful Expat for nominating me! And to all my nominees — keep writing and rock on! (And to my readers, check them out!)